Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Halloween

In light of our recent discussion of fear and the media, and because Saturday is Halloween, I thought I'd recommend some great movies with a little bit of a spooky feel to them, but definitely not along the lines of It or The Birds. First, of course, is the classic Hocus Pocus--what a great Halloween movie with witches, spells, ghosts, and even a zombie. Next, I love The Addams Family because "they're creepy and they're kooky, mysterious and spooky..." A couple recent favorites that aren't really recent are Mike Meyer's So I Married an Axe Murderer and an early Tom Hanks movie--The Burbs. Both of these are funny, quirky, and have a slight spooky feel. Hopefully, these not-so-frightening selections help you narrow down your Halloween night movies--and prevent nightmares!

3 comments:

  1. HOCUS POCUS is THE classic halloween movie choice for me. i have watched it basically every single halloween since forever. and often even random days when i feel like halloween should be here haha halloween is the best holiday ever. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA I watched Hocus Pocus a few weekends ago and could not keep from laughing. Especially at the last line of the movie: "I had to wait 300 years for a virgin to light a candle!" What is it with scary movies and virgins anyways? See my blog next week for more details on commonly recurring themes of scary movies. www.themediasponge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete