Monday, September 21, 2009

Call to Action

We recently watched Hotel Rwanda again. The line about people watching the news, saying that it's terrible what's happening in Rwanda, and then going back to their dinners really hit me. They say that the media and the TV news brought about much more awareness about the world (i.e. Vietnam and the footage that was shot there), but I wonder if we have too much information bombarding us now that we have become desensitized to all of it. As with Rwanda, we see pictures and live footage of bombings, starvation, natural disasters, and yet most of us (including myself) tend to just go back to eating our dinners. Kind of sad.

1 comment:

  1. I thought this movie was so moving, it took me a few days to "recover." But it was awkward because my room mates and friends I watched it with were fine after and spent the rest of the night joking while I felt kind of depressed. I'm not trying to say I'm a better human being than they are, but I do think media impacts people in different ways.

    ReplyDelete